The Plexus Groupe continues for the ninth year in a row to be part of an elite group of independent insurance agencies around the United States participating in the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (IIABA or the Big “I”) Best Practices Study Group.
In an attempt to end Florida’s title as the state with the greatest percentage of uninsured drivers, the Florida legislature has introduced bills that would establish the Uninsured Vehicle Enforcement Program under the management of the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.
If you are thinking of buying or selling a home, you are probably aware of the current conditions making this a seller’s market. Like almost every other industry, Covid rocked the real estate world, and its effects are still ongoing. The inventory of new and existing homes is down about 20% from the prior year, mortgage rates are historically low, and home prices rose 15%.
In 2020 Carjacking's more than doubled, 2021 is even worse
Last year, Chicago had over 1,400 carjacking's, which is more than double the amount from 2019. Unfortunately, 2021 is off to a worse start, with 174 carjacking's in January and only two arrests. According to Neighborhood Scout.com, your odds of becoming a victim of a property crime in Chicago are 1 in 33, which is nearly 40% greater than the state of Illinois as a whole.
Carjacking perpetrators focus on people who are unaware or unprepared. Some common-sense tips offered by police departments include:
- Always drive with your doors locked and windows up. Try not to leave your purse, phone, laptop, or other valuables on the front seat, which could lead to a “smash and grab” robbery.
- Do not use a stop light as a reason to check your email, text a friend, or rock out to your favorite song. Keep your head on a swivel.
- Make sure you have enough distance between your car and the car in front of you to escape if needed. Try to drive in the lane closest to the center of the road whenever possible. This will give you more time to react if approached by pedestrians.
- Avoid parking near tall vehicles that can conceal a suspect and be prepared to enter your parked car as quickly as possible.
- Be aware of your surroundings when getting gas. Are there any people loitering near the gas station mini-mart? Use the reflection in your vehicle’s windows to look behind you when you’re at the pump.
- Carjacking crews will sometimes stage accidents by bumping into the back of your car. When you get out to check the damage, a passenger in the car that hit you will get out and steal your car. If you have any suspicions about the person who hit you, stay in your car and insist that they follow you to a police station. This is no time to worry about offending someone by insisting that you go to a safe place.
- Do not try to be a hero. If the perpetrator enters your vehicle or displays a weapon, let them take your car.
Unfortunately, the risk of a carjacking cannot be eliminated entirely
If you are a victim of a carjacking, cooperate with the police and file a claim with your insurance company.
Some insurance companies have also started to offer an endorsement to their home insurance policies that address the mental and physical trauma that can occur from a carjacking or other violent property crime. For approximately $100/yr. these endorsements may cover such items as:
- Medical expenses related to injuries suffered during the event.
- Rest and rehabilitation expenses as prescribed by a psychiatrist, physician, or other health professional.
- Loss of salary as a result of missed days of work, usually capped at 30 to 60 days.
- Other reasonable expenses as approved by the insurance company.
The exact coverages offered, and premium charged will vary from one company to the next, so contact a Plexus representative for more details.
Criminals feel remorse for being caught and not for the crime itself, so they prefer easy targets. Being aware of your surroundings and listening to your inner voice won’t guarantee your safety, but it will make you less likely to becoming a victim.
According to the American Pet Products Association, American households include almost 90 million dogs. And even though most dog owners will swear their dogs are friendly (myself included), a 2015 study by the CDC estimated 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year.
The Plexus Groupe continues for the eighth year in a row to be part of an elite group of independent insurance agencies around the United States participating in the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America (IIABA or the Big “I”) Best Practices Study Group.
Personal risk management is the process of applying risk management principles to the needs of individual consumers by identifying, measuring and treating risk. Typically, personal risk is associated with financial investments and insurance. These could include stock market investments, mutual funds or liability insurance. You can avoid unnecessary risks to your family and your lifestyle by implementing a personal risk management strategy.
Most parents can clearly remember their child’s first day of school and the mix of emotions as they got on the school bus. Will they like their teacher? Will they make friends? Did I remember to put everything in their backpack?
Did you know that some repair facilities, including Midas and Pep Boys, share your vehicle data with Carfax? Did you also know that Carfax sells this data to some insurance companies? This data exchange is not a one-way street – Carfax also receives vehicle claims data from insurance companies.